There are somethings you always wish someone had told you at a young age in your life. Time flies by so fast that there isn’t enough time to do what you aimed for and utilizing this time is the key to a successful future where you can look back and be satisfied. Here are things you wish you knew at 20.
1. The world is trying to keep you stupid
From bank fees to interest rates to miracle diets, people who are not educated are easier to get money from and easier to lead. Educate yourself as much as possible for wealth, independence, and happiness.
2. Do not have faith in institutions to educate you
By the time they build the curriculum, it’s likely that the system is outdated– sometimes utterly broken. You both learn and get respect from people worth getting it from by leading and doing, not by following.
3. Read as much as you can
Learn to speed read with high retention
4. Connect with everyone, all the time
Be genuine about it. Learn to find something you like in each person, and then speak to that thing.
5. Don’t waste time being shy
Shyness is the belief that your emotions should be the arbitrators of your decision making process when the opposite is actually true.
6. If you feel weird about something during a relationship, that’s usually what you end up breaking up over
7. Have as much contact as possible with older people
The reason this is so valuable is because people your age don’t usually have the decision-making ability to help you very much. Also they know almost everything you will learn later, so ask them.
8. Find people that are cooler than you and hang out with them too
This and the corollary are both important: “don’t attempt to be average inside your group. Continuously attempt to be cooler than them (by doing cooler things, being more laid back, accepting, ambitious, etc.).”
9. You will become more conservative over time. Do the craziest stuff now
This is just a fact. Those you surround yourself with create a kind of “bubble” that pushes you to support the status quo. For this reason, you need to do your craziest stuff NOW. Later on, you’ll become too afraid. Trust me.
10. Reduce all expenses as much as possible
I mean it. This creates a safety net that will allow you to do the crazier shit I mentioned above.
11. Instead of getting status through objects (which provide only temporary boosts), do it through experiences
In other words, a trip to Paris is a better choice than a new wardrobe. Studies show this also boosts happiness.
12. While you are living on the cheap, solve the money problem
Use the internet, because it’s like a cool little machine that helps you do your bidding. If you are currently living paycheck to paycheck, extend that to three weeks instead of two. Then, as you get better, you can think a month ahead, then three months, then six, and finally a year ahead. (The goal is to get to a point where you are thinking 5 years ahead.)
13. Learn to program.
This will organize even the most smallest things in your life and help you sort out everything in real time!
14. Get a six-pack (or get thin, whatever your goal is) while you are young
Your hormones are in a better place to help you do this at a younger age. Don’t waste this opportunity, trust me.
15. Learn to cook.
This will make everything much easier and it turns food from a chore expensive habit into a pleasant frugal one. I’m a big Jamie Oliver fan, but whatever you like is fine.
16. Sleep Well
This and cooking will help with the six pack. If you think “I can sleep when I’m dead” or “I have too much to do to sleep,” I have news for you: you are INEFFICIENT, and sleep deprivation isn’t helping.
17. Get a reminder app for everything
Do not trust your own brain for your memory. Do not trust it for what you “feel like” you should be doing. Trust only the reminder app. I use RE.minder and Action Method.
18. Choose something huge to do
…as well as allowing the waves of opportunity to help you along. If you don’t set goals, some stuff may happen, but if you do choose, lots more will.
19. Get known for one thing
Spend like 5 years doing it instead of flopping around all over the place. If you want to shift afterwards, go ahead. Like I said, choose something.
20. Don’t try to “fix” anyone
Instead, look for someone who isn’t broken.
- 18 Disney World Secrets You Never Knew Existed
- 18 Things You'd Only Know If You Were The Younger Sibling
- 42 Reasons That'll Tell You That You Are Absolutely…
- 20 Legendary Movie Scenes That Were Improvised Out of…
- I Thought Animals Were Cute But These Pics Gave Me The…
- 19 Things You Will Totally Understand If You Have A Crush On…
- 18 Things You Can Relate To If You're The Girl With A Guy…
- 6 Things You Should Know Before You Start Playing Online…
- 22 Things That Happen When You Have To Go Out Of Town And…
- 8 Things That'll Help You Get Over Everything That's Gone…