1. A poor homeless girl holding a dead rat...an image that seems simple but in fact is more powerful in the emotion it conveys.
2. There are two sides to every story.
What maybe happiness for one is a sorrowful necessity for the other.
3. Thania Sayne leans on the headstone of her husband the day before their wedding anniversary on 16 October 2013.
4. 106-year-old Armenian Woman guards home, 1990
5. US Sergeant Ken Kozakiewicz (23), gives vent to his grief as he learns that the body bag at his feet contains the remains of his friend Andy Alaniz. ‘Friendly fire’ claimed Alaniz’s life and injured Kozakiewicz.
6. A very powerful ad by UNICEF.
7. Sergeant Frank Praytor looks after a two-week old kitten during the height of the Korean War.
9. The power and beauty of the sea as you've never imagined
A giant humpback whale breaching majestically.
10. When humanity fails - African girl in a human zoo, Belgium 1958
11. Unknown soldier in Vietnam, 1965
12. Violinist, Nancy Dinovo, cries while playing during a service at Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Vancouver for the September 11 victims.
13. Turkish official teases starving Armenian children by showing them a piece of bread during the Armenian Genocide in 1915.
14. Plight of children in Sudan : a heart - breaking scenario of poverty and hunger in Africa.
16. Love like it was never seen before - An embracing couple found buried under the remains of a collapsed garment factory in Bangladesh.
17. Animals being used as part of medical therapy, 1956
18. A Red Cross nurse writes down the last words of a British Soldier - WW1
20. A space chimp posing to camera after a successful mission to space, 1961
21. 10 year old Yemeni girl smiling after she was granted a divorce from her husband - a grown adult.
22. A sad view : Eight-year-old coal miner, early 1900s. USA
23. A Chinese paramilitary police recruit being shipped to start his service in the Zhejiang province began to tear up in this photo, taken on Dec. 12, 2010.
24. A girl who would go on to become a legend never to be found again, probably out living her life for one last time.
26. "100,000 monks in prayer for a better world"
27. Living the impossible: Skater Girls in Tehran
28. Rare picture shows priest praying over Titanic victims before they are buried at sea.
29. Love in the time of war: Australian Scott Jones kisses his Canadian girlfriend Alex Thomas after she was knocked to the ground by a police officer’s riot shield in Vancouver, British Columbia.
30. A man is having his nose measured by the Nazi police to decide whether or not he is Jew. Hitler had a stereotype that Jewish noses are larger than Aryan noses.
31. Advertisement for Atabrine, anti-malaria drug, in Papua, New Guinea during WWII
32. A young Charlie Chaplin at age 27, 1916
33. Death is inevitable : A monk prays for an elderly man who had died suddenly while waiting for a train in Shanxi Taiyuan, China.
34. The Hindenburg Disaster, May 6, 1937
35. Supporters celebrate as Minnesota legalizes gay marriage
36. When, for some, the color of skin becomes greater than humanity: Hotel owner pouring acid in the pool while black people swim in it, ca. 1964
37. Mother hides her face in shame after putting her children up for sale, Chicago, 1948
39. Last prisoners of Alcatraz leaving, 1963
40. Animal cruelty: Circus hippo pulling a cart, 1924
41. Annette Kellerman promotes women’s right to wear a fitted one-piece bathing suit, 1907. She was arrested for indecency.
42. Measuring bathing suits – if they were too short, women would be fined, 1920?s
43. Christmas dinner during Great Depression: turnips and cabbage
44. Woman With A Gas-Resistant Pram, England, 1938
46. Melted and damaged mannequins after a fire at Madam Tussaud’s Wax Museum in London, 1930
47. Unpacking the head of the Statue of Liberty, 1885