1. Riot police and protesters share a cry together [Sofia, Bulgaria, 2013]
2. A girl delivers sandwiches to protesters amongst the chaos [Ukraine, 2013]
3. Woman defends a wounded protester from a military bulldozer [Egypt, 2013]
4. A young boy offers a heart-shaped balloon to police [Bucharest, Romania, 2012]
In 2012, health reforms triggered protests in Romania. They quickly became violent and resulted in the resignation of the Prime Minister, Emil Boc.
5. Egyptian woman kisses a policeman during the revolution against the Mubarak Government [Egypt, 2011]
In the midst of the Arab Spring, weeks of protests and violence began in an attempt to overthrow the Mubarak Government. More than 2 million protesters occupied Tahrir square and clashes with police and Mubarak supporters resulted in 846 deaths. In February, the army refused to fire on protesters with live rounds and Mubarak was forced to resign.
6. Protesters in Brazil bring cake to an officer for his birthday [Brazil, 2013]
7. Christians protecting Muslims as they pray during the revolution [Cairo, Egypt, 2011]
8. Child touches his reflection during a KKK demonstration [Georgia, USA, 1992]
9. A student protesting education reform hugs a policeman [Bogotá, Colombia, 2011]
10. Protesters help a dog affected by tear gas [Istanbul, Turkey, 2013]
11. An anti-government protester offers a rose to a soldier [Bangkok, Thailand, 2013]
12. Protesters dressed as clowns entertain guards at a G20 meeting [Toronto, Canada, 2010]
13. Flower power during the Vietnam War Protests [Arlington, Virginia, 1967]
14. A brave priest organises a human shield between protestors and police [Kiev, Ukraine, 2013]
15. Protesters share crackers with Colombian riot police [Columbia, 2013]
16. Tunisian man holds back riot police with a baguette during the revolution [Tunisia, 2010-11]
In 2010, Tunisia entered a state of revolution. By the end, the Ben Ali Government was overthrown and fair elections were held for the first time since 1987.
17. Girl hands water to two officers [Bosnia, 2013]
18. Man playing piano for police [Kiev, Ukraine, 2013]
Earlier last December, Ukrainians participated in their largest popular protest since 2004. The 2013 protests were shrouded with violence from both sides, including 200 protesters who commandeered a digger and attacked the presidential palace. The protests and riots followed the Government’s decision to side with Russia rather than the European Union.
19. Riot police help a woman affected by tear gas [Ankara, Turkey, 2013]
What started as an attempt to protect Gezi Park from becoming a mall snowballed and protesters are now calling for many other concessions. In all, 11 people have died and over 8000 have been injured.
20. Woman successfully defends a group of cornered riot officers from angry protesters [Bogotá, Colombia, 2013]
What started as a peaceful protest in Bogotá to support a farmers strike quickly turned violent. Small elements of the protesters assaulted police and began looting.
21. Citizens band together to clean up the mess following London riots [London, England, 2011]
22. Occupy protesters help a woman in a wheelchair escape teargas [Oakland, USA, 2011]
23. Caring citizens offer tea to British riot police [London, England, 2011]
Riots over a police shooting in England were quickly used as an excuse to loot by small numbers of protesters in cities across the country. Six deaths were reported, all inflicted by looters. The violence lacked popular support, resulting in many scenes of police and public cooperation.
24. German riot officers take off their helmets and escort Occupy protesters [Frankfurt, Germany, 2011]
25. Mourners form a 5-mile barrier between a soldier's funeral and the Westboro Baptist Church [USA, 2012]
26. A Turkish protestor plays guitar for police [Turkey, 2011]
27. Egyptians embrace army soldiers after they refuse orders to fire on civilians [Cairo, Egypt, 2011]
28. An Iranian police officer is protected by civilians after being beaten by rioters [Tehran, Iran, 2009]
29. Officer Joselito Sevilla is comforted after being berated by a protester [Manila, Philippines, 2013]