1. You become a dreamer.
People come to Mumbai with aspirations and so did you. But, your dreams get even more real when you arrive and you see how busy people are in running after their ambitions. This is why it's called the "city of dreams," because it compels you to touch the sky rather than sit and imagine how it would feel like to embrace it.
2. In no time, you match up to the super-fast-express-pace of life in Mumbai.
The fast pace of the city amazes you and this soon becomes a way of life for you too. The energy, the vibe that this city holds in its heart, it's hard to find anywhere else in India. The word 'lazy' does not exist in any Mumbaikar's dictionary. From rickshaw-walas to top notch honchos, everyone is there to make money without wasting any time.
3. You fall in love with the never-failing-you, magical as ever, rib-ticklingly romantic Mumbai monsoons.
Monsoons in this city is a long long affair, it goes on from June to September every year and it doesn't matter how accustomed you are to this climate, it always takes you by surprise (good or bad we can't be sure). There will come "I hate Mumbai rains" phases in your life but the announcement of its arrival will always light you up with too much excitement of seeing your long lost friend.
4. AND you're very comfortable with the floods that it brings along with it.
Unfortunately, the "karta dhartas" (doers) of Mumbai didn't pay much attention to its infrastructure. Hence, floods became a part of life.
5. You eat dinner at 9, go out at 11 and come back at 4 am and guess what? Nobody cares.
When India is sleeping, "Bombay" is wide awake and this is one of the many reasons why you love this place. One of your favourite pastimes becomes to sit by the beach side and admire the serene beauty, the fact that you're able to do this at 4 am in the morning is what makes life unbelievably beautiful in this city.
6. Local train seems more convenient despite the "chik chik" aunties, sweaty armpits and cranky children.
Travelling in the locals is a forced add-on to your life, if you want to live an economically comfortable life without getting stuck in the vicious circle of never-ending rides in expensive cabs and autos.
7. Traffic is a justified excuse for ANYTHING.
Whenever your friends give heavy traffic as an excuse for being late, you know they aren't faking it (even if they are). And it soon becomes your favourite "i'm late" excuse. But seriously, Mumbai traffic at almost all hours in a day, is suicidal.
8. "Vada pav" and "cutting chai" take over your Mc Donald's cravings.
9. Mumbaiwalas have their own (rather sophisticated) vocabulary.
Waat, jhakaas, jhol, paani kam etc. are the slangs used only in Mumbai and wait till it becomes super hard for your to verbalise your thoughts without using these words.
10. You feel less threatened walking alone at night.
Most people are too busy in Mumbai to stare at you or rob you at any point in time. There's no denying of the fact that incidents happen there too but the fact of the matter is, you become a local in the city as soon as you move here from anywhere else in the world and you feel too comfortable with the environment as well as the people to feel any kind of threat.
11. You never get "used to" seeing famous faces.
It's a star studded place and coming across celebrities here is as normal as bumping into acquaintances in Delhi. You want to get used to it but you can't. The excitement is as dramatic as ever each time you see a B-town bigwig.
12. You feel shy saying "No" to weekend night-out scenes.
... because it means there's something terribly wrong with you.
13. You learn that the rich and the poor can live together.
Right along the skyscrapers in Mumbai are large pieces of land covered in slums. So much for reducing economic inequality (*pun intended*).
14. The stink, dirt, leakages don't bother you.
While the bad overpowers good in most cases in this world, it's the opposite in Mumbai. The good parts overpower the infrastructural issues in this city any day.
15. You stop caring about "what will people think"...
... because nobody really cares about how you look and what you wear in this city. You have all the freedom to start your own trend if you like because it's literally the city of creations (if there's another name that can be given to Mumbai).
16. You won't be glared at, no matter what you do.
You're a girl and you smoke. What's the big deal? You're free to do anything in this city and you'll never be judged. That does not mean you do everything LITERALLY.
17. You'll never be able to leave this city, it's true love.
From stylishly describing your location in terms of superstars' homes ("I'm close to Shahrukh Khan's Mannat") to respectfully addressing everyone as "boss" to chasing your dreams tirelessly to being YOURSELF - Mumbai undoubtedly brings out the best in you. I'd say it's a city to rediscover your true self because Bombay is ready to accept you for who you are and not what you can be.